Friday, June 11, 2010

Try Something New Today: Rosemary Almond Flour Crackers

Something has happened to me in the past few years.  I'm trying things I never even would have considered trying years ago.  I've taken on interests that used to seem dull to me.  I've run five half marathons now, and I used to HATE running!  I was the girl at the back of the pack being hollered at by the PE coach.  I'm learning to bake and cook.  I used to believe that food was just fuel and the more convenient that fuel the better.  Make it quick, get it in, and move on.  Now I'm experimenting in the kitchen, playing with flavors and textures, and learning to cook vegetables that I didn't even know existed.  I'm training for my first triathlon.  I never thought I'd have the physical strength and stamina for something like this or the desire to push myself to new limits.  Am I growing up, or am I just seeing that there is a world of possibilities out there?

I remember watching Martha Stewart when I was home sick one morning, and she made cough drops.  Seriously?  Feeling absolutely horrible, I thought, "Who in the world would take the time to make their own cough drops?  If I need a cough drop I'm going to buy a bag of them at the store for $0.99.  I have better things to do with my time."

I still don't think I'll ever make cough drops, but I tried something new last night that was a stretch for me.  Here's a sentence that I never thought would exit these lips.

I made my own crackers.

I really did!  And it was easy.  Super easy.

Crackers are definitely something that I'd just run to the store to buy.  Crackers aren't a main staple in my diet.  Being gluten-intolerant, I have my go-to brands like Glutino, Nut Thins, and Mary's Gone Crackers.
And I love that Costco now carries the gluten-free multigrain crackers.  But, let's face it.  Even when crackers are used as an appetizer, they aren't the focus of the hors d'oeuvres.  The focus is on whatever we top them with -- rich cheeses; tomatoes and olives; hummus; cream cheese, honey, and pecans.  The topping ideas are endless, and they take center stage, not the cracker.  The cracker is typically just a shovel to the mouth.
But these crackers are all about -- the cracker.  Sure, you can top them with anything you'd like, but the best thing about these babies is that they stand alone.

I never would have tried something like this without the direction of Elana from Elana's Pantry.  I started with her almond flour recipe, added some flaxseeds, because I just love them, and I substituted egg whites for a whole egg, because someone got a free carton of organic, cage-free eggs that I paid for at the grocery store.  Grrr.
Rosemary Almond Flour Crackers

Ingredients:
1 3/4 c. almond flour
3 T. egg whites
1 T. olive oil
2 T. finely chopped rosemary
4 tsp golden flaxseeds
1/2 tsp sea salt

1.  Combine the almond flour, rosemary, flaxseeds, and salt in a large bowl.
2.  Whisk the wet ingredients together in a small bowl.
3.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix them together well with a wooden spoon.  Then form the dough into one large ball.
4.  Place the ball on a sheet of parchment paper, place another sheet on top of the ball, and roll the dough out to about 1/8-inch thickness.  Remove the top piece of parchment paper and slide the bottom piece with the cracker dough onto a cookie sheet.
5.  Cut the dough into 2-inch squares with a thin blade or pizza cutter.  Use a thin spatula to create a little separation between the crackers on the cookie sheet.
6.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 12-15 minutes.  Keep checking them, looking for a golden color with slightly crispy edges.
7.  Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool for 30 minutes on the sheet before serving.

This recipe made 16 crackers.
Of course, I burned my tongue because I had to try a hot cracker!

Delicious, delicious, delicious!  And now that I have a base recipe for gluten-free crackers, think of all the experimenting I have ahead!  How would chives taste in this cracker?  Maybe a little garlic?  Sundried tomatoes?  Mmmmmm...a few sprinkles of parmesan cheese?  The possibilities are endless.


The possibilities are endless for you too.  What new things are you going to try this weekend?

2 comments:

  1. You amaze me. 16 crackers, huh? I think those would last about 3 minutes. They do look amazing, though. I'd love to try them with my latest cheese discovery: Castello Blue Cheese. Had it at a French wine bar where Mike was playing and then found it myself at Trader Joe's. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blue-Castello-Cheese/93096897623#!/pages/Blue-Castello-Cheese/93096897623?v=info

    ReplyDelete
  2. love Mary's crackers, so I'll have to try these. Also love rosemary! :)

    ReplyDelete